Sunday, August 25, 2013

Manual steering and battery install

I received the manual steering rack Fed Ex from Ebay on Friday, this was good timing for working on the weekend. I started by checking out my new steering rack, it was a bit rougher than expected, with a torn boot and a loose tie rod end.
I swapped out the boot and lubricated everything, I set the tie rod distance to match the other rack and checked the loose tie rod joint, no slop or wear so I will run it as is.
I made a shim for the mounting as it was smaller diameter than the power rack.
I will probably need to get an alignment at some point, I set the toe in with front to rear measurement.
I had to reposition the steering input shaft due to a difference in the racks. Not a direct replacement apparently.
Front batteries

Since I deleted the steering pump, I used the void to mount the coolant tank for the controller, I moved the pump as well and plumbed the radiator, pump, controller and tank.
I fabricated a mount for the 1000Amp shunt from 1/2in polypropylene to allow mounting.

I dropped all the batteries in the front box to test fit, I was thinking I could get another cell in for 51 total but not going to happen.

Rear battery box
I installed the side panels in the rear box. I made a clamping system with all thread and aluminum to hold all the batteries together.I set them on a layer of rubber and foam to allow for the mounting bolts and to cushion the batteries.

I received the circuit breakers I ordered to match some others I had from another project so I will be able to start the control circuit and 12v wiring

No comments:

Post a Comment