Saturday, July 27, 2013

Progress mounting the parts

I have located the components and have almost finished the front battery box. The plastic covers arrived in the mail so I will be able to finish the boxes.
I received the 12 volt battery and fitted it in the tray. I plumbed up the vacuum system and secured the vacuum canister beneath the battery box.

I installed the radiator with fan setup in the front of the car behind the grill, it should get pretty good air. I found a location for the water pump that circulates the cooled antifreeze for the controller.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Brackets and old car blues

I resumed working on the battery box and associated brackets, I welded the frame as much as possible and still install in engine bay. I will be bolting some parts in order to remove components that may need service later. I painted all the steel and installed in the engine compartment.
I mounted the vacuum switch, and tested the pump and vacuum system, I couldn't get much vacuum and traced to a leaking vacuum booster. I checked the donor car and found the booster in working condition, so after doing headstands under the dash of 2 cars I removed both. I cleaned up the working unit and installed it. A system check revealed everything working properly, I set the vacuum switch to cut off and about 20 and in at 15 inches of vacuum.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

A place for everything

 After a bit of thought I have decided on a configuration for the front battery box and places to mount the other items.
I had intended on using any factory bolt inserts to mount the angle iron for the boxes and found there really wasn't enough locations to secure everything. 
I used a motor mount location, the unibody frame rails that I will drill and bolt through with threaded rod. The front location is the bottom of the battery box, to the left of the motor there will be the 12v accessory battery with vacuum pump behind, just in place for location reference.

The top rack will be the resting place for the motor controller and DC/DC converter, and possibly the main contactor. I still need to find a location for the breakers and Vacuum switch, as well and the heater relay and various other control relays

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Power steering and motor mounting

I am reusing the power steering so I had to make a mount for the pump. I ordered a pulley for the motor that would give me a ratio that was close to stock, I probably could have under driven the pump to save power. The pump has electronic control of pressure that reacts to speed and road feedback so I wanted to keep it close on the ratios.
I started by cutting off about 2 pounds off the old bracket that mounted the bracket to the original motor and held the air conditioning pump.
The original bracket cut pretty easily even though some cuts were through 3/4 thick aluminum. I wanted to reuse the bracket to eliminate drilling and slotting for the pump and belt adjuster with the added rear mount for the pump.

I bolted it all together and this is what it looks like, the odd shape of the bracket was to use a piece of scrap 6061 aluminum, it ended up being very strong with little flex. I measured the distance around the pulley and picked up a belt at the hardware that fit well 

I went to the rear and marked it up for the battery box and where I will cut the package area to drop the battery box into the space where the fuel tank used to reside. I will be able to install 30 of the calb 100ah batteries in this space.

 I finally drilled the motor mount and secured the motor to the frame, while I was in the area I cut the radiator supports out to allow room for the rest of the batteries. It will be a tight fit, but I will be able to get another 20 batteries in the front between the motor and front frame. I thought putting the drive shaft in would be an easy reinstall, but I was very wrong! As it turns out the turbo car and non turbo use different front and rear flanges, they don't mix well. One drive shaft didn't fit the transmission, the other did but wouldn't bolt to the rear end. The best solution was to redrill the pinion flange to accept the driveshaft, not fun but will work.

Friday, July 12, 2013

Work has kept me busy but I have managed a few steps forward. I repaired some systems on the car, restored the blower high speed and got the wipers working properly as well as installing the parking brake, shifter bushings and shifter.
I cut down the bracket for the power steering pump to lighten and eliminate the mount for the AC unit.
I am still fabricating the mount for the pump and idler.
I have some time this weekend to finish making the mounts and installing the driveshaft and securing the front motor mount.